Monday, March 19, 2012

Space Contest and the Overview Effect

I just entered a contest to take a suborbital hop into space on a private spacecraft. Metro Newspapers is the sponsor.

I made my argument for going based on my work on the Overview Effect and with the Overview Institute and cited my desire to share the Overview Effect with the world.

While I have enjoyed competing and would very much like to win, I have also been inspired by the fact that more than 350 people have entered in the American phase of the contest alone. Some of the entries are not very serious, but others are. One contestant wants to be the first deaf person in space to show what people with disabilities can do. Another person wrote an essay for their dad, who always wanted to be an astronaut.

There is an enormous pent-up demand for private spaceflight, or Ispace, as I like to call it. There is a tremendous opportunity here for entrepreneurs like Sir Richard Branson, Elon Musk, and others.

Let's open the space frontier and let's experience the Overview Effect!

Here is the link where you can read all the essays. If you like the case I have made, please vote for me (or maybe you would like to enter the contest yourself.)



No comments:

Post a Comment