Friday, July 10, 2009

Apollo 11's 40th Anniversary

On July 20, we will celebrate the fortieth anniversary of the Apollo 11 landing on the moon.

People will write millions of words about this central event of our time, but will anyone ask and answer the big question: how did this event affect our consciousness, how did it change our awareness of our place in the universe? A second question, which is naturally linked with the first, is this: why haven't we gone farther into the universe with human exploration? If we were on the moon from 1969 to 1972, why aren't we on Mars now?

I suspect that a number of people will ask these questions, but I wonder who will have the best answer? Or the most satisfying answer?

I think that, while I may not have the best answer to these questions, I might have some unique perspectives on them, which I will share in the coming days. leading up to the anniversary itself.

Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment